As a follow-up of yesterdays post on Poverty Facts: 10 Detestable Statistics In Pictures, I received a letter in the mail from World Vision (I Sponsor 2 Children). I opened the envelope quickly expecting news about one of my sponsor children, to find an information sheet full of condemning statistics about 4 countries in Africa that are going through a major food crisis!
Here Are The Statistics:
- Population: 78 Million
- 6.4 Million People Need Foor Urgently
- Food Prices Have Risen By Between 100%-300% In Recent Months
- Sever Acture Nutrition Is Rising Drastically
- 270,000 Metric Tonnes Of Food Is Needed Now!
- 28 weeks later download free
- Total Population: 38 Million
- 1.2 Million People In Northern Kenya Need Foor Urgently
- Figures Could Rise To 3.5 Million Unless Help Arrives Immediately
- Water Shortages Are Acute. Livestock Are Dying
- Post Election Violence In Early 2008 Displaced Thousands And Seriously Affected Food Production
- Total Population: 28 Million
- 2.1 Million People In North And East Need Food Aid Urgently
- Conflict, Drought And Livestock Disease Are The Main Cause Of The Current Crisis
- Delayed Rains Kept 90% Of Families In Affected Areas From Planting Crops This Season
- Total Population: 8 Million
- 3.5 Million People Need Food Urgently
- Could Rise To 4 Million By December
- Conflict And Attacks On Aid Workers Limit Relief Response
How is it that news like this is not making headline news? Is it because we don’t want to hear it? We are so comfortable in our world and our lives that we do not want something happening on the other side of the world impact us and make us stop and think about what we can do.
Well I think when almost 50% of a whole country (Somalia) is in urgent need of food. We need to be hearing it. We need to be getting uncomfortable. We need to stand up. AND WE NEED TO HELP!